The following list of recommended books will be a good start on the educational journey towards natural rearing.
Most are available at
Books in red are highly recommended reading
Currently Recommended Book
Pukka’s Promise by Ted Kerasote
(Mr. Kerasote spent years researching and interviewing professionals and his book presents many excellent facts to help you in your quest to have a healthy and long-living dog. While this is not specifically a “natural rearing” book, it has many facts that support why we choose to raise our dogs the natural rearing ways.
FEEDING A SPECIES APPROPRIATE RAW DIET (ARF)
· Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats :The Ultimate Diet by Kymythy Schultze (This is the “primer” book that will get you started on understanding about feeding a species appropriate raw food diet (ARF).
· The Barf Diet: Raw Feeding Using Evolutionary Principles, Give Your Dog a Bone, Grow Your Pups With Bones and The BARF Diet by Dr. Ian Billinghurst (His books makes it clear why we should be feeding a raw diet and all about the nutrients in raw foods.
· Raw Meaty Bones by Tom Lonsdale
· Foods Pets Die For, by Anne Martin
· What Vets Don’t Tell You About Vaccinations and Shock To The System by Catherine O’Driscoll. These books have incredible information to help you make informed choices.
· Vaccine Guide for Dogs & Cats by Catherine J.M. Diodati
· Natural Immunity—Why You Should NOT Vaccinate by Pat McKay. Her book opens up a door of incredible facts and why vaccinations are more harmful than good.
· Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs by Don Hamilton, DVM (I have used Dr. Hamilton and he is an incredible Homeopath. He lives in New Mexico so phone consultations were the mode of communication.) This book starts out with a wonderful introduction into Homeopathy.
· Herbs for Pets by Mary Wulff Tilford and Greg Tilford (I attended an excellent seminar by Greg Tilford and consider this book a must to have for herbal information)
· The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care, CJ Puotinen (A must have reference for natural healing. I’ve known CJ since I started NR and have attended many of her seminars.)
· Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals by Kristen Leigh Bell
· Natural Remedies for Dogs and Cats by CJ Puotinen. A great addition to her other book.
· Four Paws Five Directions by Cheryl Schwartz, DVM (A guide to Chinese Medicine for cats and dogs)
· Common Herbs for Natural Health by Juliette de Bairacli Levy
WEST HIGHLAND WHITE TERRIER
Westies from Head to Tail, by Ruth Faherty (Ruth was my dear friend for nearly 30 years. Many Bonnie Brier Westies are in her book.)
HERBAL, TRAINING and GENERAL
· The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat, by Juliette de Bairacli Levy, the “Mother” of natural rearing. It all starts here for a good introduction. I credit Juliette for my paradigm shift and subsequent commitment to natural rearing.
Are You Poisoning Your Pets? by Nina Anderson and Howard Peiper. (a guidebook on how our lifestyles affect the health of our companions)
Clicker Training for Dogs, by Karen Pryor
Good Owners, Great Pets, by Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson (Many of the Bonnie Brier Westies have appeared in this book.)
The Food That Would Last Forever by Dr. Gary Gibbs. This book will help you to understand the dangers of food irradiation.
· Dogs Naturally Magazine (I highly recommend this awesome publication)